Fistula Foundation is growing! Open positions are listed below.
Interested in volunteering? If you live in the San Jose, CA area, we occasionally have opportunities in our office for local volunteers. E-mail email@example.com to be added to our local volunteer e-mail list.
Fistula Foundation – Development Associate
About Fistula Foundation:
An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, often abandoned by her husband and shunned by her community. The only cure is surgery, which we deliver through on-the-ground partners in more than 20 countries including Ethiopia and Bangladesh. Quite simply, these surgeries change women’s lives—and their families’ lives–forever.
We have the dynamism of a lean start-up team with the stability of a mature organization, including a $5M reserve. Our supporters love to share stories about how we’ve touched their lives, as seen in the 485 stories on GreatNonprofits.org. And we have 11 years of 4-star Charity Navigator ratings along with a consistent “A” from Charity Watch. We’ve earned the recognition of high-profile leaders, from two-time Pulitzer Prize winner, Nicholas Kristof, to Emmy-award winning Louis CK, who just won $50,000 for us on Jeopardy, to internationally renowned ethicist, Peter Singer. Additionally, we have earned critical support from global leader Johnson & Johnson.
The Fistula Foundation is looking for a creative and motivated fundraising operations professional to join our team and play a key role in transforming women’s lives globally. You will join a small, dedicated staff in addressing the “hidden” problem of obstetric fistula. Your challenge will be to build on the Foundation’s solid fundraising track record and help raise vital revenue that enables us to provide restorative surgery to women. You will contribute to this effort by establishing and maintaining donor relationships and overseeing the operational detail of the fundraising, stewardship, and donor outreach activities of the Foundation team. Responsibilities will include: cultivating donor relationships, offline fundraising efforts, gift processing and maintaining donor records, stewardship and donor correspondence. You will be responsible for the internal coordination of several large mailings including solicitations, our annual report and stewardship reports as well as several donor retention initiatives.
Position Overview: This position will report to the Senior Development Manager, Donor Programs whose focus is on annual giving and mid-level donors, and will work in close collaboration with other members of the team based in San Jose, California. Occasional support will also be provided to the Senior Director, Donor Relations whose focus is on major gifts.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor’s degree and at least two years of nonprofit, a passion for fundraising operations, or donor service work experience preferred.
- Exceptional and versatile project management skills, strong time-management skills and superior interpersonal and communication abilities.
- Excellent donor communications experience and attention to detail (phone, email, and in-person etiquette).
- Advanced ability with Microsoft Office including knowledge of mail merge functionalities and a working knowledge of the fundraising software Raiser’s Edge.
- Sound judgment, stellar track-record and interest in learning/continuous improvement. Ability to take initiative and meet deadlines with a strong work ethic. As a small, lean organization, every member of our team must be willing and able to pitch in with tasks large and small.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to adapt to new conditions, assignments and deadlines; quick turnaround on key projects is essential for success.
- The ability to listen and to be inquisitive and eager to learn from other Foundation staff about our work and our partners in the field.
- Integrity, humility, optimism, a sense of humor and a strong work ethic.
- Experience with or demonstrated interest in international poverty alleviation, women’s health and/or the advancement of women is desirable, though not required.
- Experience with direct marketing and peer-to-peer fundraising or similar roles is also desirable, but not required.
- Personally steward donors through handwritten signatures and notes.
- Create and maintain relationships with new and existing donors through our Thank You Call/Donor Survey program. Organizing outreach efforts for this program, generating lists, making thank you calls, formatting and sending donor surveys, and keeping detailed records.
- Support Senior Development Manager in logistics and implementation of fundraising and stewardship mailing projects. Coordinating, organizing and doing quality control on internal efforts to hand-sign and customize a portion of 8-10 distinct mailing projects.
- Manage donor records in Raiser’s Edge including updating donor preferences, proper funneling of thank you letters, ensuring proper coding of major gifts, and alerting fundraising staff of new, unusual and significant donations. Assist with donation entry during peak times, primarily during April/May and Nov/Dec.
- Support peer-to-peer fundraising program, communicating with fundraisers, encouraging and providing tools when needed. Monitor fundraising events and report on progress.
- Assist Senior Director, Donor Relations with select donor research and prepare briefing memos for major donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Generate donor correspondence, including weekly run of thank you letters.
- Help create and execute informative, detailed, and timely responses to donor inquiries.
- Maintain network of volunteers to assist with mailings and other ongoing projects.
- Provide general support to the Fistula Foundation team as needed and other duties as assigned.
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture:
The Fistula Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, a 403b match, and a generous vacation plan that begins in Year 1. We also offer a Competitive salary with potential for bonuses and increases based on performance.
Our team prioritizes gratitude, initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives. We’re a dog-friendly office with weekly fruit delivery, paid gym memberships, and a supportive office culture.
How to Apply: Please send your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that articulates your interest and qualifications for this position to:
Senior Development Manager, Donor Programs
Please include position title in the subject line of your email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will respond to all applicants.