Fistula Foundation is growing! Open positions are listed below.
Interested in volunteering? If you live in the San Jose, CA area, we occasionally have opportunities in our office for local volunteers. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our local volunteer e-mail list.
About Fistula Foundation:
An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, often abandoned by her husband and shunned by her community. The only cure is surgery, which we deliver through our innovative programs in Kenya and Zambia, and with partners in more than 20 other countries including the Democratic Republic of Congo and Bangladesh.
We have the dynamism of a lean start-up team with the stability of a mature organization, including a $5M reserve and $6M endowment. Our supporters love to share stories about how we’ve touched their lives, as seen in more than 600 stories on GreatNonprofits.org. And we have 12 years of 4-star Charity Navigator ratings along with a consistent “A” from Charity Watch. We’ve earned the recognition of high-profile leaders, from two-time Pulitzer Prize winner, Nicholas Kristof, to internationally renowned ethicist, Peter Singer.
We are seeking a motivated, creative, and talented communications leader to guide our communications strategy. The Communications Director, who will report directly to the CEO, will develop a strategic communications plan and lead the execution of that plan. This individual will lead a team of three professionals to ideate, define, and implement a broad communications plan across diverse print and digital channels, including auditing and redesigning our website. Successful candidates will be perceptive, dedicated and driven, and have a keen sense of audience. Fistula Foundation has a strong base of loyal supporters and partners around the world. Your opportunity is to leverage our compelling track record to heighten awareness of our work and strengthen donor loyalty. If you bring passion and believe you could be a changemaker, we would love to meet you.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership:
- Create, implement, and manage communications strategies across diverse channels, including in-house video creation, emails, annual reports, newsletters, and social media
- Define and develop our strategic communications plan across all audiences and partners in collaboration with the CEO and senior leadership.Engage effectively with teammates and consultants to thoughtfully plan an annual calendar and execute several successful campaigns
- Serve as lead on media interactions that promote and impact the Fistula Foundation; actively cultivate and manage press relationships
- Oversee the continued development of our brand
- Innovate and redesign the Fistula Foundation websiteCreate new, consistent messaging to raise our local and global awareness and profile
- Manage the development and distribution of all print and electronic publications including our website, emails, programmatic marketing collateral, and donor outreach
- Lead the creation of online content (including video and social media) to engage different audiences and drive measurable results
- Build relationships with partner organizations to explore collaboration opportunities
- Be an evangelist for Fistula Foundation and its goals
- Seek new ways to create awareness of and support for Fistula Foundation with donors, the press, and key policy opinion leaders
- Manage a communications team to support the development and execution of communications strategy and tactics, including three full-time staff as well as Board, intern, and volunteer talent
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a collaborative approach
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Proven communications talent with 7-10+ years relevant experience including previous experience leading communications strategy
- Demonstrated experience managing and developing communications professionals
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Stellar interpersonal, team leadership, and project management skills
- Innovative, clear-thinking self-starter with a genuine passion to make positive change
- Integrity, humility, optimism, sense of humor, and strong work ethic all required
- Flexible and creative, with natural aptitude for the big picture
- Knowledge of current trends and multimedia platforms, and creative thinker in the use of digital and emerging media technologies
- Strong organizational management skills, with capacity to effectively manage multiple priorities ranging from strategic planning to executing to evaluating
- Collaborative leadership style with a proven ability to inspire, support and motivate colleagues, Board members, consultants and partners to achieve goals
- Demonstrated success in developing and maintaining relationships with colleagues, partners, and industry influencers
- Extensive knowledge of all areas of communications, and, ideally, nonprofit development as well
- Experience with or demonstrated interest in international poverty alleviation and/or the advancement of women is strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree required
How We Will Invest in You:
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
The Fistula Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, a 403b match, and a generous vacation plan that begins in Year 1. We also offer a Competitive salary with potential for bonuses and increases based on performance.
Our team prioritizes gratitude, initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives. We believe in work-life balance and the 40-hour workweek. We’re a dog-friendly office with weekly fruit delivery, paid gym memberships, and a supportive office culture.
How to Apply:
Please send your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that articulates your interest and qualifications for this position to:
Sajira Mae The, email@example.com
We will respond to all applicants.
Fistula Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity among its applicant pool. We strongly encourage people from all backgrounds, especially racial and ethnic minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply for this position.