In 2014 with the groundbreaking support of Astellas Pharma EMEA, we launched our Action on Fistula program and built something powerful: a nationwide treatment network with the potential to end fistula in Kenya.
Action on Fistula’s innovative model addresses every element in the battle against fistula and emphasizes partnership above all else. Now, an integrated network allows surgeons, outreach workers, and hospitals to share resources and information to treat even more women, more effectively, with the highest level of care.
Action on Fistula focuses on four main areas:
- Innovative Community Outreach
- A collaborative Network of Fistula Hospitals
- Certified Surgeon Training
- Holistic post-surgery care & job skill training
Together with our partners on the ground, we have achieved a resounding success—Action on Fistula has already helped over 3,000 women receive life-transforming fistula surgery. We have also:
- Trained 6 Kenyan surgeons and 2 Zambian surgeons to internationally recognized standards, certified by the International Federation of Obstetrics and Gynecologists (FIGO)
- Empowered 274 Community Health Workers
- Conducted 9,500 outreach activities across Kenya
- Built 1 flagship hospital: Gynocare Women’s and Fistula Hospital in Eldoret, Kenya.
Astellas Pharma has been committed €2.25 million from 2014 – 2020 to treat and transform the lives of women suffering from fistula in Kenya, with a goal to deliver 4,500 surgeries by 2020 and lay the foundation for continuous and lasting availability of fistula treatment in Kenya.
Fistula Foundation is grateful to Astellas Pharma for their revolutionary involvement in the Action on Fistula initiative. They have had a profound impact in the field of fistula treatment, and because of their investment, our shared dream of ending fistula in Kenya is now within reach.